Sunday, January 15, 2012


Welcome to my first blog! The purpose of this blog is to motivate myself to finish important research and also organize some of my thoughts in some sort of manner. I am currently working on two biomedical designs that I would like to share with you. 
The first is an acute and chronic leukemia treatment that utilizes a coherent light source to filter, target and vaporize immature white blood cells. This treatment would be intended to kill cancerous white blood cells that have spilled into the blood stream and destroy them before they begin to attack other body organs.
The second is a generic treatment designed to warm a cancer patient’s blood temperature to 107.6 degrees Fahrenheit (which is the known temperature at which cancerous cells die), and then simultaneously cool the blood down to the normal body temperature using a semi conductive Peltier device.  This design will utilize a temporal catheter such as one’s used in kidney/liver failure patients, but instead will filter blood flow out of a cancer infected organ. Induced Hyperthermia is a well known treatment for cancer worldwide, however is generally unpracticed in the United States.
The current Problem I am having for design #1 is isolating white blood cells to vaporize with the laser light. In research labs, doctors generally use Turks solution to lyse a sample of blood which eliminates the red blood cells and stains the nuclei of white blood cells. I need this because I have a digital microscope and goal number 1 is to record a white blood cell being vaporized.
From there I will determine the minimum/maximum power needed to explode the little buggers at various wavelengths. 
The lysing solution I need to obtain is most likely Turk's Solution, which I may have to take a microbiology course in order to snag. Other wise, plan b would be to use phlegm which contains mostly white blood cells, however which of most are dead or dying.

For design 2, I need to order a peltier device from Taiwan, which I should do now that I think of it. The peltier device is just in simple terms silicon that is surrounded by two sheets of metal which when has electricity applied generates a hot and a cold side. (Look it up, its actually pretty cool how it works)

 With the peltier device, I need to obtain a sample of blood and figure out how to warm the blood up to 107.6 degrees F and observe the chemical properties and how they react then cool it back down to 98.6 degrees F and repeat.

Check back for more updates, im done typing for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment